Friday, May 14, 2004

Going on Empty

I'm late. I need to get to Othello, WA for a meeting. The fuel gage of my Honda Civic hovers above empty. 110 miles to go. Logic states that at 30 miles per gallon, and with an estimated three gallons left in the tank, I can make it. Prudence shouts to take the time to fuel up, so as not to be stranded.

I decide not to fuel up. I'm too busy to take the time to get gas. With my fuel gage near on empty, I start out. One by one the towns of the Palouse roll by: Colfax, Dusty, the turn off to Endicott and the road to Hooper. The warning light fades on and off in Washtucna, WA. I've made it this far, so I keep on going. After conquering another hill, the low fuel warning light comes on and stays on. The light means that there is enough gas to go 30 miles before running out. Anxiety seizes my heart as I imagine myself facing the consequences of my foolish choice. Going on empty can leave you stranded.

At last, I see the refreshing sight of an oasis in the desert! A truck stop. I stop and fuel up. With a full tank, I take a deep breath, and thank God that I have learned a lesson. Get gas or be stranded!

In our spiritual journey, we find myself going on empty. We are stranded on life's road by relying on our own dwindling spiritual resources. Our Gracious God offers us spiritual refueling, and gives us a console of warning lights on the dashboard. Here are two warning lights that indicate the need to stop and fill up your spiritual gas tank.

• Grinding Relationships
The friction from grinding of "relationship gears" from conflict can be great. Misunderstandings, and lack of communication, with a spouse or child, a coworker, or classmate are examples of this warning light. Ask God for the lubricant of the Holy Spirit to prevent this grinding in our human interactions. Ask someone close to you to see if your grinding gear warning lamp is on. Hebrews 12:14 Make every effort to live in peace with all men and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord.

• Overheated Finances
Incurring excessive consumer debt is one way to overheat your spiritual engine. Gambling, impulse buying, or credit card debt can signal an unresolved spiritual or emotional issue. Ask for help from a Christian counselor, and a financial advisor. Make God a partner in your finances by investing 10% of your income into the spreading of the Gospel. God promises to cool overheated finances by opening the "windows of heaven" and pouring blessings upon those who return a faithful tithe. Malachi 3:10 "Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, so that there may be food in My house, and test Me now in this," says the LORD of hosts, "if I will not open for you the windows of heaven and pour out for you a blessing until it overflows. New American Standard Bible

If you are experiencing grinding relationships or overheated finances, spend some time at the pump with God. Take time to fill your spirit by reading His word, the Bible. Invite His Spirit to lubricate your interactions with others. Don't get stranded in life by going on empty.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home