Monday, December 06, 2004

The Bramble War


Today the kids, and our cousin Braeden helped pick black berries from Grandma's neighbor - with permission! A couple years ago, we cut back the black berry brambles – but now they’ve grown back. The war advances. We cut back, and then the vines advance.

This year I wanted to do another strategy. Cut the roots; wage the war at the foundations. The roots need to be exposed. So I find a way through the canopy of berries and brambles, and make my way down to the ground. Cutting a path as I go. There is an old truck that the black berries have covered, and so I stand on the fender.

Each of the foreboding plants starts growing from the ground somewhere. So I find myself under a canopy of these vines with their barbs. And yet there are these fountains of nutrients that spring up from the ground – the vines are anchored to the ground.

So this is where I wage war. At the foundational level – the vines.

Rather than wasting my time and resources cutting the surface, God I ask that you eliminate self from my life. From the ground up, from the source.

Hidden in the lonely place under the canopy, I wage war against myself. No one is able to see the fruits of my solo war. I come from the internal battle, and yet on the surface of the black berry bushes nothing has changed, or so it seems. 30 or more vines have been cut off.

Over the next few days others can see the difference. Wilting leaves. The invasion branches are stopped.

But it was in the internal cave of solitude that I saw the victory. The roots cut. Lord I need you to do the same in my life.

Yet I come from the battle with self with thorns in my hands, stains on my knees. Yet because of Your power, I emerge victorious.

• You are the vine – I am the branches. John 15:5

• NIV Galatians 2:20 I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

Journal September 5, 2001

Special thanks to Romalt Taraskevicius, M.A., for giving permission to use this picture! Copyright 2004 © All rights reserved. Check more of Romalt's fractal art work at
www.777heavenly-fractal.com/ Posted by Hello

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home